looking for image gallery recommendations

Eli the Bearded

Aug 2, 2022, 4:29:17 PM8/2/22
Currently I use F-Stop Gallery Pro. I like it, but I feel I'm starting
to run into limitations.

Here's what I use and like with F-Stop:

tagging images with tags stored in EXIF[1]

full control of tags, not just strings choosen by someone else

easy filter to find untagged photos, photos with a particular tag, or
photos from a particular directory

image edit: crop, resize, rotation in 90 degree increments

viewing videos taken by the camera apps in tool

Here are some limitations I'm hitting with F-Stop:

with over 600 tags currently, I'd like a better way to find existing
tags when adding them to photos

since I can't search by size, aspect ratio, or general EXIF data[2],
I tag panorama images, but since I can't search for things that mark
them, I sometimes miss tagging them

date/time search is not great. Within a tag, or directory, things are
chronological, but only grouped by month. With filename searching I
can get better, but not all my images have the same format
(YYYMMDD_HHMMSS vs YYYYMMDDTHHMMSS)

searching for tag intersections like "Hazel" with "Willie" or "Hazel"
without "Willie" (those are my two dogs)

the view on map feature feels fairly limited, making selecting of
things within, say, Yellowstone but not in nearby Grand Tetons,
difficult. Zoom out, and they are grouped together. Zoom in, and it's
a bunch of separate groups that can't be multi-selected

resizing photos is only done by slider, making precise (eg 2000 wide)
sizing basically impossible; cropping has similar issues

when resizing to share, I want to strip all metadata (exif, etc)
ideally even renaming the file. This requires two steps in F-Stop

Anyone with recommendations? Advertising is a hard no. Privacy policy of
the app will be read. Paid apps are fine, not hugely price sensitive.

Since F-Stop can easily group images by directory, I've been resorting
to Termux[3] shell scripts using exiftool[4] to move files and then
operate on them for my more difficult issues. I'd like to stop that.

[1] exiftool tells me F-Stop is using XMP "Subject" tags
[2] the "Capture Mode" tag in exiftool, eg
[3] A "linux" terminal shell app:
https://termux.dev/en/
https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.termux/
[4] Despite the name, exiftool is a general image metadata utility.
https://exiftool.org/
"pkg install exiftool" in termux

Elijah
------
whose phone is more of computer + camera than phone

Andy Burnelli

Aug 4, 2022, 7:44:56 PM8/4/22
Eli the Bearded wrote:

> Here's what I use and like with F-Stop:
> Here are some limitations I'm hitting with F-Stop:

Your needs are specific, and detailed, and complex.
And I know nothing about the topic.

Hence I waited a few days hoping someone would help you but nobody did,
so I'm hoping to help you any way I can, where I'll run a survey for you.

I understand you seek advice from an experienced user (which I'm not).
And I you seem to know more what's available for tagging & organizing
photos than anyone here, certainly more than I ever will.

To put it out there openly, I don't tag anything - so I have zero
experience in tagging tools to help you but I can see the use for them.

But I'll still try to help you where I can, even if it's not much.

Please do let us know what you find out, and if I can search for you,
I'll try (just to be helpful - but I realize you already likely
searched far & wide).

My search terms of "best free photo tag image organizer app" were
hard to find results for given the amount of shill out there on this topic.

In the end, what you want may be found in a combination of apps anyway.

What we're looking for are fuzzy logic calculations where we'd love
it if a certain app always shows up on top, but we'll take it if
a given app shines in just a couple of best-app reviews...

More often than not, the best-app "reviews" (many of which are shills)
simply post ad copy from the marketing teams of the app developers;
but sometimes there are jewels in the rough that show up a few times.

Be that as it may, in the order the search engine found them are these...

*The best photo organizer apps in 2022*
<https://www.tomsguide.com/best-picks/best-photo-organizer-apps>
Ignoring the cloud solutions, the apps they listed, in order, are
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=co.slidebox>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.memoria.photos.gallery>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.atomicadd.fotos>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.diune.pictures>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fstop.photo> <== yours

*Best Photo Organizer Apps for Android in 2020*
<https://www.droidviews.com/best-photo-organizer-apps-android/>
What we're looking for are duplicates high on the list of apps...
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.atomicadd.fotos>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=media.album.photo.gallery>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.simplemobiletools.gallery>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=photo.album.galleryvault.photogallery>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.scn.android>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=photo.gallery.imageeditor>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fstop.photo> <== yours

*Best Photo Organizer Apps for Android and iPhone in 2022*
<https://www.techcommuters.com/best-photo-organizer-apps-for-android-and-iphone/>
1. Slidebox ¡V Photo Organizer
2. 3Q Album(photo organizer)
3. Simple Gallery Pro: Photo Manager & Editor
4. Utiful Photo Organizer
5. Imaginize ¡V Photo Organizer

*Best 7 Android Photo Manager: Manage Photo Gallery with Ease*
<https://drfone.wondershare.com/android-tips/android-photo-manager.html>
1. QuickPic
2. PicsArt - Photo Studio
3. Flayvr photo gallery (flavor)
4. Photo Gallery (Fish Bowl)
5. Photo Editor Pro
6. Photo Editor & Photo Gallery
7. My Photo Manager

*Top 5 Android Photo Organizers*
<https://www.mobikin.com/android-backup/android-photo-organizers.html>
1. Photo Gallery (Fish Bowl)
2. Focus
3. F-Stop Media Gallery
5. QuickPic

*Top Photo Editing Apps for Android*
<https://fixthephoto.com/best-photo-editing-apps-for-android.html>
FixThePhoto - Editing and retouching by professionals
Adobe Photoshop Express - AI editing tools
PhotoDirector - Auto spot smoothing
Ribbet - Thousands of effects
Image Editor - Includes a bunch of PIP image effects
Fotor - Over 200 collage templates
PicsArt - Support for brushes and layers
Instasize - Over 80 unique borders
Pixlr - Professional image editing features
Snapseed - 29 professional tools
Bonfire Pro - 110+ unique effects
PicLab - 20+ free fonts
Avatan - Create your own effects
BeFunky - Editing photos using filters

*Top 10 Gallery Apps for Android*
<https://fixthephoto.com/best-gallery-app-for-android.html>
A+ Gallery - Our choice
Simple Gallery - Gallery for minimalism lovers
F-Stop Gallery - Supports numerous file formats
Piktures - The best interface
GalleryVault - Encrypted file storage
Google Photos - Classic gallery app for Android
Memoria Photo Gallery - Modern option
Amazon Photos - Perfect alternative to Google Photos
1Gallery - Excellent built-in image editor
Slidebox - Gesture controls

*Free Apps to Geotag Photos on Android & iOS*
<https://freeappsforme.com/free-apps-to-geotag-photos/>
Geotag Photos Pro
GeoSnap
The Photo Investigator
Marki
GeoTag
Pixelgarde
GPS Map Camera
EXIF Viewer
GPS Map Camera Lite

*5 Best Photo Organizers & Album Apps*
<https://www.photoeditorsapps.com/5-best-photo-organizers-for-ios-devices-2019-list-updated/>
1. Keepsafe Secret Photo Vault
3. Slidebox

That's the first page of the search results, which, I know,
isn't all that useful. There are a few minor takeaways, e.g.,
your current app shows up a few times (which is good), but
no one app shows up consistently on the top (which is what
happens when you're dealing with shills).

Often though, the app choice you end up with "should" be
in a few of the best-app reviews though... we hope.
--
Posted out of the kindness of my heart to help a fellow user.

--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information

Eli the Bearded

Aug 30, 2022, 6:58:33 PM8/30/22
In comp.mobile.android, Eli the Bearded <*@eli.users.panix.com> wrote:
> Currently I use F-Stop Gallery Pro. I like it, but I feel I'm starting
> to run into limitations.

Following up four weeks later to say, I've found nothing, and expanding
my search to self-host web-accessible gallery software, I've still got
nothing.

Photoprism comes closest, and if searching worked as well as the
examples in the documentation, might be okay, but it loads tags as
"Subject" field (matching how exiftool see them), and can search that
text, but exact matches for say tag "street art" with
<subject:"street art"> don't work.

https://docs.photoprism.app/user-guide/search/filters/

Elijah
------
disappointed that his priorities are so unpopular